2) Potporri 1988-1989
I went on a mini trip with a couple of my friends to The Chicago Cultural Center. There were a few different artists' work but the gallery of Barbara Crane. She has a focus on contemporary photography. The signs in the lobby stated that she focused on nature, human nature, and biology. This was easily spotted when I took a long glance at my favorite picture (above pictures 2 and 3).
This picture made me feel she was attempting to show biology. At first glance it looked like a series of cells, and dna strands...maybe even an artery or two. When looking closer it is simply potporri. Rose pedals, raisins, and small leaves are the few things I was definately able to make out in the picture.
The color also indicates that she was going to make the pictures seem like the biology of the human body. The red seems to be the color of blood (not too light). Either I'm weird and seeing this wrong or I'm weird and seeing this right!
The first picture is also interesting...mostly because the title...Still Lifes is pure sarcasm and I love it. Pictures of obviously dead animals and a title like that just made me giggle at the irony.
No comments:
Post a Comment